Results tagged ‘ Cameron Garfield ’
It can be a little difficult to keep tabs on the indy league front, what with all the college regional action and the end of the high school playoffs. Obviously, there’s an interest in knowing what’s going on in St. Paul and Fort Worth, the temporary homes for Tanner Scheppers and Aaron Crow.
Scheppers hasn’t pitched since May 27, a game in which he was still lighting up the radar gun, but scuffled a bit with command (though he settled down). He was supposed to pitch on Monday, but it got rained out. Imagine my confusion when I didn’t see his name in the reports for either game of Tuesday’s doubleheader.
Here’s, evidently, what happened:
The Saints are on the road and after his Monday start was rained out, they realized that whenever he made his next start, it would be his final one with the Saints. There was a desire, from all parties, it seems, for that last start to be at home. Obviously, the Saints want to reap the benefits of one more outing from the potential first-rounder and the Scheppers camp liked the idea of it as well. So a plan was made to have Scheppers make his final indy league start on Friday at home. A few big-league teams asked if it could be moved to Saturday — I guess to make it more feasible for some to make it to the start for one final look-see — and the Saints and Scheppers were amenable. So Scheppers will make his final pre-draft outing on Saturday.
Some other bits of information and rumor. Keep in mind that rumors can be just that.
- Zach Wheeler was in Baltimore yesterday for a
private meeting/workout, but my understanding was that they didn’t talk
- The O’s did, it seems, have a
conversation with Alex White‘s advisor about whether he would sign for slot if
they took him at No. 5. I haven’t heard what the response was.
- Matt Hobgood and others were in Baltimore for a
separate workout. No idea who else was there.
- Drew Storen and Chad Jenkins threw in
today. I heard both threw pretty well. They
also had a bunch of HS SS in for later-round consideration – Stephen Perez, Nick Franklin,
Billy Hamilton were all there and all performed well.
- Latest word on the Royals’ pick at No. 12 is that they might be honing in on a college position player, with a bent toward a premium position. That would make the rumors of BC catcher Tony Sanchez make some sense. So would USC shortstop Grant Green, if they feel they can afford that. Wil Myers has come up here, and while he’s not a college guy, he would fit the “premium position” part of the deal and he supposedly impressed in workouts.
- Speaking of workouts, they’re one of those funny draft-related things that can be over-valued from a rumor standpoint. Just because a guy goes to a workout doesn’t mean the team is going to take him in the first round. Case in point: Hobgood going to Baltimore shouldn’t make him the front-runner to be a sleeper pick at No. 5. Could they consider him? Maybe. Are they taking him, not necessarily. That being said… Cameron Garfield has reportedly been tearing it up at workouts for a number of teams, including the Angels, Diamondbacks and the Astros. Not sure what that means yet, but he could be erasing any doubts based on his up-and-down senior season in high school.
That’s it for now, but trust me. There’s going to be much, much more