Results tagged ‘ Matt Dominguez ’
That’s right, folks, there are plenty of ‘em still in action as teams move closer to winning (and losing) titles.
A brief overview:
- Game 3 of the Texas League championship series between Northwest Arkansas (Royals) and Midland (A’s) has lefty John Lamb on the hill for NW Arkansas. (I wrote about Lamb in this playoff preview feature). His teammate, Eric Hosmer, is hitting .276, but with five homers in seven playoff games to date (that’s an .862 SLG if you’re scoring at home).
- The Eastern League championship, like the Texas League, is tied at one game apiece. Altoona (Pirates) 2B Chase d’Arnaud has hit .348 with a 1.247 OPS in the postseason. Trenton (Yankees) is sending fairly under-appreciated pitching prospect Adam Warren to the mound for Game 3. Warren, who had a 2.59 ERA for the season split between Tampa and Trenton, tossed six innings of shutout ball with 10 K’s in his previous playoff start.
- Pitcher of the year candidate Trey McNutt, who also won his previous postseason starts, gets the ball for Tennessee (Cubs) in Game 3 of the Southern League championship. That one is also tied 1-1, with Marlins former first-round pick Matt Dominguez driving in three runs in Game 2 to even up the series. The third baseman is hitting .364 with three homers and eight RBIs in the postseason.
- With the South Atlantic League championship knotted at a game a piece, the defending champion Lakewood BlueClaws (Phillies) send pitching prospect Brody Colvin to the mound. He tossed five shutout innings in a first-round no-decision.
Thought I’d throw a few up at a time from here on out…
49. Matt Dominguez, 3B, Marlins
Seen: Late May
Seen over five-game stretch not long after he returned to action following recovery from mono. … At plate, had big wrap and too-long stroke with concerns about balance. Did make hard contact with good future power. Defensively, arm close to plus makes all routine plays. Legs were a bit slow, but could be because of long layoff. Overall defensive package above-average.
48. Angel Villalona, 1B, Giants
Seen: Late May
Seen over five-game stretch. … Extremely strong, can hit ball out without difficulty. Easy, pull stroke through zone. Kills mistakes. Plus, plus raw power. Little hitch in swing with hole on inside. Some trouble with offspeed stuff away, but showed improvement. Good arm at 1B, soft hands. Must watch weight.
47. Kyle Blanks, 1B, Padres
Seen: Late June (AA) and October (AFL)
Scouted a total of eight games between Texas League and AFL. … NFL tight end type body. Plus, raw power. Can hit it a long way when he gets a hold of one. Can sit on fastball and pound mistakes. Plus velocity, good breaking stuff tough for him, with holes in big uppercut swing. More athletic than you’d think based on size, better than expected at first base, though rough around edges. Power potential makes him a big leaguer. Will stay if he shows ability to adjust.
46. Derek Holland, LHP, Rangers
Seen: Late May (Midwest League)
Fastball: 89-94 mph
Curve: 76-77 mph
Slider: 78-80 mph
Changeup: 81-84 mph
High leg kick delivery with high 3/4 arm angle. Medium frame. Quick arm with four pitch mix. Length in arm action sometimes limits control and ability to consistently locate all pitches. Good competitor on mound. Could be No. 2 starter, solid No. 3 from left side.
45. James McDonald, RHP, Dodgers
Seen: June (Double-A)
Fastball: 87-90 mph
Curve: 71-76 mph
Changeup: 73-78 mph
Upright, overhand delievery. Throws fastball with good plane, but it’s straight. Deep tilt on curve. Plus change, with plus plus deception. Secondary stuff outstanding, concern about average velocity of fastball, though showed more in relief role. Middle of rotation type if he remains a starter.