Results tagged ‘ MiLB Opening Day ’
I asked, and you replied. Over on Twitter (@JonathanMayoB3), I told people to send me some pictures if they were at Opening Day games. Got some good ones so far. Keep them coming!
This one comes from Mike Ashmore (follow him @mashmore98) at the Hunterdon County Democrat. He blogs about the Trenton Thunder as well. Here’s Yankees prospect Austin Romine during infield practice pre-game.
Lehigh Valley had taken a 7-6 lead in the top of the ninth, but Roger Bernadina hit one out in the bottom of the frame to tie it back up. Pete Orr drove in Kevin Mench to win it for Syracuse and pick up the first walk-off of the Minor League season.
This game will eventually come to an end, so I’m sure you’re wondering where else to turn for MiLB entertainment tonight. You really can’t go wrong, but I have to say the matchup of the day has to be…
Durham at Nofolk
Not only is this game on MiLB Gameday Audio, it’s got a great pitching matchup. You’ve got No. 20 prospect Jeremy Hellickson for Durham against fine young right-hander (and one-time top prospect) Chris Tillman. That game starts at 7:15 p.m.
There are some other fantastic International League games. How about:
- No. 8 Pedro Alvarez and No. 11 Carlos Santana in the same game? Indianapolis at Columbus starts at 7:05 p.m. and you can watch it if you get MiLB.TV (which you should).
- Buffalo at Scranton, 7 p.m. It’s also on MiLB.TV, where you can watch No. 19 Jesus Montero swing the stick.
- Louisville at Toledo. That game’s on right now. No “huge” names today, but still, minors on TV, folks.
Speaking of pitching (I did up above, stay with me), how about this sampling for fine 2010 debuts (all times ET):
- No. 17 Kyle Drabek making his Jays debut for Double-A New Hampshire at New Britain. Start time is 6:05 p.m. and can be heard on Gameday Audio
- No. 42 Jacob Turner, a 2009 first-rounder, makes his professional debut for the Tigers with West Michigan in Lake County. 6:30 start time.
- No. 41 Aaron Crow, also a 2009 first-rounder, makes his official debut for the Royals in Double-A as NW Arkansas hosts San Antonio. 7 p.m. on Gameday Audio
- No. 34 Julio Teheran hits full-season ball and starts for Rome in the South Atlantic League in Kannapolis. 7 p.m. Gameday Audio
- No. 43 Mike Montgomery starts for Wilmington in the Carolina League in Myrtle Beach. Added bonus: Alex Gordon rehab assignment. 7 p.m. start time. Gameday Audio
- Finally (for now), when Tulsa hosts Corpus Christi at 8 p.m., No. 23 Christrian Friedrich will be on the hill. Gameday Audio
This, of course, doesn’t cover the half of it. So check back here frequently for updates.
If you see anything going on, pass it along in comments or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Even better, if you’re at or going to a Minor League opener today, let me know, take pictures and pass them along. I’ll post them here as the night goes on.
We’re now less than two hours from the official start of the Minor League season. It seems like Syracuse has become the Cincinnati of the Minors (you know, before the ESPN Sunday night game became the opener). It feels like the season starts in Chiefs country every year. This time, the Nationals’ Triple-A affiliate hosts Lehigh Valley, the Phillies’ farm club.
Some things for your reading pleasure as we prepare for an exciting day and night of baseball and blogging. First, here’s my update on where the Top 50 prospects are starting the season. Since the International League is kicking things off, here’s a look at what’s in store for that highest level in 2010. Or you can check out our overall coverage of MiLB Opening Day.
As for this IronPigs-Chiefs contest, it’s Brian Mazone vs. J.D. Martin. Prospect-wise, the best guys to watch in this game are probably Syracuse OF Justin Maxwell. They also have Josh Whitesell, who’s always hit well in the Minors. For Lehigh Valley, John Mayberry Jr. is still worth tracking. You can listen to the game (and many, many others) via MiLB.com’s free Gameday Audio service.
Enjoy the day everyone. I’ll be back once things get underway